One of my favourite health-conscious cafés in Los Angeles, Honey Hi, serve these turmeric-poached egg bowls and although grain bowls have had a bit of a bad rap, they are quick to make and tasty too. I treat this type of lunch or dinner as an opportunity for a fridge clear-out and anything goes here – roast vegetables, leftover meat, pickled cucumber – basically whatever takes your fancy. Ready-cooked pouches of grains and lentils are a great time saving ingredient – look for Merchant Gourmet ‘glorious grains’.
• medium pan
• small bowl
• slotted spoon
HANDS ON TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 8 minutes
For the bowl
• 2 tsp ground turmeric
• 1 tsp vinegar
• 2 x 250g packets of ready cooked mixed grains or grains and lentils
• 2 avocados, sliced
• ¼–½ red cabbage, finely shredded
• 4 large free-range eggs
• 2 tbsp dukkah
• Handful of wild rocket
For the dressing
• 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
• Juice of ½ lime
• 1 garlic clove
• 3–4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
• Small handful of fresh chives, snipped
1. Bring a pan of water with 5–7cm of water to the boil and add the turmeric and vinegar, then reduce to a very gentle simmer.
2. Meanwhile, heat up the grains according to the packet instructions and divide between four bowls. Top with the avocado, red cabbage and rocket leaves.
3. Make the dressing: blend the white wine vinegar, lime juice, garlic and seasoning together in a bowl, then gradually whisk in the oil and stir in the chives. Drizzle all over the grains, avocado and cabbage.4. Poach the eggs in the pan of simmering water for 2–3 minutes until set but still soft. Drain and place on top of the dressed bowl. Sprinkle with the dukkah and serve straight away.
Recipe extracted from Donal’s Meals in Minutes by Donal Skehan, published by Hodder & Stoughton, £25
Photography by Donal Skehan